top of page

history dating back to the 13th century

Sjötorps Säteri dates back to the 13th century

Stone Age finds have been made on the properties and the farm is mentioned for the first time in RAP = parchment letter in the National Archives. Here the name Siöthorp is spelled and means "New construction by the lake" (Sjötorpssjön, which is located right next to the farm). Sjötorp was then owned by the family Mats Larsson, noble Kafle, and stayed in this family for about 300 years until 1751. In the Land Register 1663, Sjötorp Frälse Säteri is mentioned ..

During the rebuilding of the chimney walls in the late 1930s, a limestone slab with Kafle's coat of arms was carved out. When the main building was renovated in 1955, the plate was bricked in as an eye-catcher in the fireplace, which was bricked where the house's original hearth had been located.

Against the church wall of Larv's church are two large slate slabs erected, where in body size Mats Kafle with his wife and children have been carved. The slabs were probably tombstones, which were erected against the church wall after the tomb was wiped out.

Mats Kafle was invited to Gustaf Wasa's wedding. When the Lords of Västgöta later rebelled against Gustaf Wasa, Mats sided with the king. As revenge for this, Sjötorp is said to have been looted and burned by his envious men. Further details about this and about Kafle's family and about Sjötorp in general can be found in Erik Tuneld's "GEOGRAPHY over the Kingdom of Sweden, Westergöthland" printed in 1833, and "Historical - Geographical DESCRIPTION over Sweden" printed in 1865.
It is true, however, that after the fire, Sjötorp was rebuilt on the old cellar vaults. It became a one-storey house with a pitched roof.

1813 was a Major Gyllenhaal owner of Sjötorp. He took a company of soldiers there, who had to dig the steep slope down to the lake to three terraces, which had a wonderful location directly to the south.
In 1854, Gyllenhaal sold Spaakens Tegelbruk, which belonged to the farm. The mill was located near Lidan by Björnabro.
In 1858 the farm was sold to Carl Emil Noring. The farm then belonged to a crown distillery, and it has been told that long caravans of horse-drawn vehicles came from all over the Västgötaslätten with grain and potatoes for brandy burning. The finished spirit was transported by horse-drawn vehicle under strong surveillance to Gothenburg. The waste products were called drinks and had to run out into a huge pit dug in the ground. Farmers and crofters came here on holiday evenings to drink the drink and get drunk, and fights were then the order.

Carl Emil Noring rebuilt the main building at Sjötorp to its current appearance. He removed the pitched roof, raised the house to 2 storeys and built an attic. After Carl Emil, Sjötorp was owned by his son Carl Gustaf, who in 1924 sold the farm to farmer Erland Gustafsson, who moved from Kartagården, Borga, to Larv.
Sjötorp was farmed by the third generation Gustafsson, Carl Eric Gustafsson and family, until 2014 when the farm was sold to the current owner Mikael Jämtenius.

Ownership length for Sjötorp

1453 Nanne Kerlingh

The first half of the 16th century Mats Larsson Kafle

Second half of the 16th century Erland Larsson Kafle

1610 Matts Erlandsson Chapter, Erland Mattsson Chapter, Hans Mattsson Chapter

1689 Axel Hansson Chapter

Early 18th century Hans Axelsson Kafle, Captain Joh. Ridderbjelke, married to Hans Kafle's daughter

1751 Ottiliana Wellington, widow of the Riksrådet, Count Sv. Lagerberg Then her son, Count Ad. Otto Lagerberg

1772 Chief Forester Miles Fleetwood, brother-in-law of Otto Lagerberg

1813 Major L. Gyllenhaal Captain Erik Drakenberg

1858 Carl Emil Noring

1911 Wood merchant CJ Johnson, Örebro

1913 Carl Gustaf Noring

1923 Trader Bolander in Tråvad

1924 Erland Gustafsson, Kartagården, Larv

1958 Son Gunnar Gustafsson and his 6 siblings

1968 Carl Eric Gustafsson, son of Gunnar above.

2014 Mikael Jämtenius

follow us

bottom of page